Tuesday 25 March 2008

Kew Gardens - Spring

Ok... so I think I lost a week there somewhere... Anyway, the good news is that I've actually been out with the camera for 2 weekends running now!

A couple of weeks ago I made it down to the Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew with Tony F (the man with the new 40D - I'm so so jealous!). In the last few years they've planted a few hundred thousand bulbs there, and we were lucky enough to catch the last weekend of them. Some of the trees were flowering too, just to top it off. The light made things pretty tricky - but I think I managed to get some good shots.




My own idea of time delay photograohy :] About 2 days I think. I had loads of fun playing with the Depth of Field along the branch in the first shot...



Just me playing around with Picasa... one day I really need to learn a little more about Photoshop.



And finally those bulbs I mentioned before...

6 comments:

Sam said...

Were you using a tripod?
Either way I probably would have bumped the ISO up so you could increase your depth of field

I was reading about tilt-shift lenses and all the amazing things they can do.. would have been perfect for a couple of these shots!

I've started my own photo blog, should get some pictures up on it this week some time..

Chris said...

No tripod unfortunately - it would have come in handy.
In the shot of the flower buds I was pretty happy with the result - my aim was to have a short DOF leavin a single bud in focus rather than the whole branch.
Tilt shift is a new term for me - I think I've got some reading to do!

Simon Bills said...

I'm pretty sure you'll have to start saving your pennies if you want to get into tilt shift photography! I don't really understand how tilt shift works and what the advantages are, all I know is that if you take a photo of a city from up high with one it looks like a model city. Perhaps I'll have to devote some office time tomorrow to it.

Sam! How's it going?

Chris said...

I'm saving my pennies for a 40D!

Sam said...

I'm doing great thanks.. I heard you were in London, we should catch up when I come visit Chris mid year

a tilt-shift lets you move the plane of focus.. so lets say you have some flowers at different distances from the camera, you can tilt the plane of focus so that all the flower heads are in focus, but still use a narrow depth of field so the stems and ground are not

I know you wanted a shallower DOF on the branch shot, its just the bud in the foreground is a bit distracting as a result (maybe you could have snapped it off hehe). For the others my comment still stands :)

Simon Bills said...

Chris, you can get a 40D for £520 after £100 cashback, you'd have to save for what, a day and half? No more excuses, no more delays!

We should definitely all catch up mid year when you're about Sam.

I found this website http://www.cityshrinker.com/ with examples of tilt shift photography, turns out it's by some guy from Adealide, looks really cool. I've still got no idea how it all works as most of the stuff I've read about it online just says it's a way of selecting what's in focus and what's not, which doesn't seem any different from just using a wide aperture, the way you explained it Sam seemed to make sense but it's still a mystery how it works.